Each comparison influences the risks associated with chronic disease and death similarly:
- vigorous exercise vs. minimal exercise
- healthy weight vs. 20% overweight
- nonsmoking vs. smoking at least 1 pack a day
Benefits of being physically fit:
- Restful Sleep
- Improves Immunity: Fitness enhances immunity to protect against colds, infections, and some cancers
- Body Composition: decrease body fat and increase lean tissue
- Bone Density: weight bearing activities builds bone strength (protects against osteoporosis)
- Strong Circulation and Lung Function: by challenging the heart and lungs the circulatory system is strengthened
- Lower Risk of Cardiovascular Disease: Being active will lower blood pressure, resting heart rate, and blood cholesterol.
- Decreased incidents of anxiety and depression: Fitness promotes self confidence and a strong self-image.
- Live Longer: Physical activity can add years to your life, it will also increase independence and mobility later in life. It will decrease chronic disease and injury risks.